when am i free?

Sunday, September 12, 2010

neveria la flor de mexico

The small storefront, small selection of seating, and direct western exposure did little to detract from the delicious treasures held within this store. I especially appreciated being able to watch as the owner (I think it was the owner) concocted his magical creations behind the corner in plain view of customers and tasters alike. He was also available to offer up a multitude of suggestions based on the desires of my taste buds.

I ended up with one scoop of their rocky road, which was really delicious with its large chocolate chips and rich chocolate. The others in my party decided on the mangonida (a truly unique taste experience mixing sour, spicy, and sweet on a stick, dipping sauce included), dulce de leche (a light, refreshing flavor), and guanavana (a delightful fruity experience). Spurred on by the multitude of unique fruit paletas (popsicles in spanish) available, I also ended up getting a prickly pear paleta which has a beautiful, light popsicle with pear undertones. However, I wanted to try them all, there were seriously dozens of different kinds of fresh, homemade popsicles just waiting for me to eat them.

Overall, a very fun and worthwhile trip that is easy on the pockets (one scoop was just over $2 as were paletas) with plenty of parking and very friendly service from the owner. Your taste buds and tummy will thank you.

(review courtesy of ting s)

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, ting already reviewed.. and way better than I could have! I just wanted to add that the consistency of the ice cream is slightly different from other places in that its a little bit 'stickier'

    I had the dulce de leche and at first I thought it was because there may have been caramel mixed in, but the guanavana was also characterized as 'sticky'. It didn't affect the flavor any, but its worth mentioning.

    The mangonida was definitely too sour for me to really enjoy. I found that focusing on one area at a time (rather than continually licking it around) got me through the sour/spicyness and to the mango flavor.

    Overall though, good ice cream/huge selection of flavors/well priced/good service (I liked the big samples on the tiny spoons we got!)

    ReplyDelete